Livingston, New Jersey
Proudly Serving Since 1921
The Fire Prevention
Bureau of the Livingston Fire Department is responsible for
the enforcement of the New Jersey Uniform Code throughout the
Township of Livingston. In addition to inspecting all retail,
commercial and institutional occupancies within the township,
they also inspect all residential occupancies upon resale or
re-occupancy of rental properties, for smoke/carbon monoxide
detector compliance. Fire Inspectors routinely conduct fire
safety education programs at local schools and for various civic
organizations. In this section of the website you will find
helpful tips regarding general fire safety within your home
and/or business. Also available is important information regarding
smoke/carbon monoxide detectors and their proper placement,
and the procedure for arranging an inspection to obtain a Certificate
of Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detector Compliance.
The state of New Jersey
requires that inspections of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide
(CO) detectors be completed before the sale of a home or change
in rental tenancy. Upon successful completion of an inspection,
a Certificate of Compliance is issued. Instructions on the placement
of detectors can be found in this section.
To schedule a smoke
detector/co detector inspection, call Fire Headquarters at (973)
992-2373 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m.
and 4:30 p.m. Inspections MUST be scheduled at least
two weeks prior to the closing for a sale or change in tenants
for rentals. There is a required $50.00 fee for each initial inspection and for each re-inspection required following an unsuccessful intial inspection an additional charge of $25.00.
Please make all checks payable to the Township of Livingston.
Application for Fire Permit
For Sale or Rental of One & Two Family Homes
In order to sell or rent your one & two family homes in the Township of Livingston you are required to complete a Home Fire Inspection, which will be conducted by the Livingston Fire Department. This is required and you will not be able to sell your home or allow a renter to occupy until completed.
There is a required $50.00 fee for each initial inspection and for each re-inspection required following an unsuccessful intial inspection an additional charge of $25.00. Please make all checks payable to the Township of Livingston.
For further information please download the following file: Requirement for Sale or Rental of One & Two Family Homes
Return to the Top
Smoke Detector, Carbon Monoxide Detector & Fire Extinguisher Requirements for the Sale of Rental of One & Two Family Houses
Smoke Detector Locations
All smoke detectors shall be mounted with screws. Mounting of the detector will not be accepted when using tape, hung on a picture hook or nails.
Basement: Mounted at the bottom of the stairs to the celing. If there is a bedroom on this level the detector shall be placed within 10' of the bedroom, not the bottom of the stairs.
1st Floor: Mounted at the bottom of the stairs to the ceiling. If there is a bedroom on this level the detector shall be placed within 10' of the bedroom, not the bottom of the stairs.
2nd Floor: Mounted to cieling within 10' of bedrooms
3rd Floor: Mounted to ceiling within 10' of bedrooms
Attic: Not Required
Carbon Monoxide Detector Locations
Install the C/O detector(s) within 10 feet of any bedroom area. Mount the unit on the wall or ceiling as specified in the manufacturer’s instructions using the supplied hardware. Devices are permitted to be battery powered, hardwired or plug in type. If there is not an outlet in the area of the bedrooms use a battery powered unit.
All detectors shall be UL listed. Smoke & carbon monoxide detectors (excluding plug in style C/O detectors) shall be mounted using screws. Mounting of the detectors using tape, Velcro, nails or hung on a picture hook will not be accepted. Battery powered smoke detecors SHALL BE the 10 year sealed battery design as of 01/01/2019.
One 4 to 5 pound ABC rated fire extinguisher with a 2A:10B: C classification code or greater shall be wall mounted in a visible& accessible location in or within 10 feet of the kitchen. The fire extinguisher is not allowed to be placed in a cabinet, closet, pantry or behind any doors. The fire extinguisher mounting height shall be approximately 5 feet off of floor. If there are multiple kitchens, each kitchen requires an extinguisher.
The initial inspection is $50.00 and for each re-inspection required following an unsuccessful initial inspection an additional charge of $25.00 shall be applied.
All fees are payable to the Township of Livingston (cash or check, no credit cards) at the time of inspection.
Return to the Top
Keep matches, lighters,
and dangerous chemicals away from children
Be sure that such
items are properly stored in safe places away from any heating
appliance, open flame, furnace, or fireplace or any other
Never leave combustible
items near fireplaces or wood burning stoves
Never leave cooking
unattended and do not place flammable items on or near the
cook top surface or within the oven
Never smoke in bed.
Many residential fires are attributed to careless use of smoking
Never empty ashtrays
that may have smoldering ashes into the trash
Be sure to have
your heating systems, fire places, wood burning stoves, clothes
dryers, and cooking appliances checked regularly for proper
Be sure your chimney
is properly cleaned when required and that the damper system
is functioning properly, especially if the chimney serves
as an active fireplace
Always use glass
or metal fire screens when using fireplaces to stop sparks/embers
from reaching combustible materials
NEVER use flammable
liquids to start or accelerate a fire in a stove or fireplace
and avoid using large amounts of paper
If a heating system
or appliance appears to be generating an unusual amount of
heat, stop using it until properly inspected
Be sure to empty
the lint trap on clothes dryers. Buildup of excess lint can
lead to heat being trapped and can cause a fire.
the dryer exhaust duct to ensure free flow of heated air and
clean out when necessary or as recommended by the manufacturer.
Return to the Top
Create a Home Fire
Safety Plan for emergency escape, and practice it regularly.
As part of your
plan ensure that all occupants, including small children,
know at least two ways out of each room.
- Ensure that all windows or doors
are operational and are not painted closed.
the alarm system and conduct emergency evacuation drills,
especially with children
- In the event of a fire, once you're
out of your house, stay out; do not re-enter the residence or
attempt to retrieve personal items; remember "Get out,
Establish a pre-determined
meeting place away from the residence, but not across a street,
for all family members/occupants to meet in the event of a
fire or other emergency evacuation
The Fire Prevention
Bureau instructs school aged children fire safety at school;
PLEASE be sure to go over what they are taught and
practice it at home
Return to the Top
When choosing a
live tree, be sure the needles do not pull off easily, if
they do the tree may already be too dry
When the trees
stump is bounced on the ground a dry tree will lose a large
amount of needles while a freshly cut tree will lose only
Never set up trees
near radiators, furnaces, or heating appliances or in a doorway
or traffic high area
When selecting an
artificial tree, be sure it is clearly labeled as fire resistant
the tree by checking the needles for dryness and be sure the
tree stand is filled with water
candles near a live tree or other flammable material
- Use only United Laboratories (UL)
approved lighting designed for tree displays.
All candles should
be placed away from any combustible materials and out of the
reach of both children and pets
Candles should always
be in a holder to prevent them from tipping over with an area
to catch dripping wax. Candles should also be positioned on
a heat resistant surface such as ceramic to prevent heat transfer
to the furniture or shelving they are on
burning candles unattended and NEVER fall asleep while
candles are burning. Candle fires account for a large majority
of residential structure fires throughout the country.
Be sure the lights
and decorations you purchase are U.L. Laboratory tested and
only utilize them as indicated on the packaging, i.e. do not
use lights listed only for indoor use outside
Check the cords
of each set of lights or decorations for cracks, bare wiring,
loose connections, or any other damage before using; do not
use or attempt to repair such sets, throw them away and purchase
Check the bulbs
for damage or cracks, replace any damages bulbs before using
When securing lights
or decorations, utilize insulated staples (avoid using nails
or tacks) and be sure that they are securely in place
Do not overload
electrical outlets, adapters, or extension cords, follow the
Keep children away
from all lights and electrical decorations
lights or electrical decorations on while sleeping
Return to the Top
If you require more
information, or have questions about the above content, please
contact the Livingston Fire Department by phone at (973) 992-2373
or by sending a message from our Contact Page.
Revised June 6, 2016